Thursday, February 6, 2014

City of the Dead



 This image struck me on the Internet.  It is a city abandoned in 
the 1920s as the inhabitants were driven out by war.  Today I was 
inspired by this image to finally write.

They are all around me,
Their faces do not move,
Expressionless,
Passing me in motion,
On their normal paths,
Not feeling emotion,
They gave into hopeless,
Becoming helpless,
Within pain deciding,
Turning themselves off,
Tuning into distraction,
Walking their paths deeper,
Without meaning,
Without mourning,
Seeing no purpose,
They keep to the code,
Seeing no meaning,
Working to pay,
Paying to work,
Wishing to play,
They turn away,
Like stars going out,
Souls go dim,
The star field recedes,
Growing closer to me,
The darkness impedes,
Its silence imploring me,
Give up,
Give out,
Give in,
Closer it comes,
Engulfing loved ones,
Closer to me,
Until the light goes out,
And my cry goes out,
Screaming into the void,
My soul receding to darkness,
My scream is silence,
Against a canvas of black.
And so I awake,
From my dream of horror,
Blessed by family,
Hearts on fire,
Relieved by love,
And loving life,
I set out to work,
With a new sunrise,
Passing faces on the street,
Expressionless.

No comments:

Post a Comment